Sunday, November 1, 2009

I want to live a healtier, greener, more authentic life!

I want to live a healthier, greener, more authentic life. I really do. But … real life seems to intrude on my ultraistic dreams.

I want to eat healthier. I keep thinking I’ll reduce my red meat consumption. I’ll eat leaner meats; more chicken and fish. I’ll eat more salads and vegetables. I’ll cut down on fats, especially trans fats. I’ll stop the diet sodas.

I read the articles and books. I agree with what I read. I know in my brain that eating healthier is better for me. I’ll live longer. I’ll have more energy. I’ll have fewer health problems. But …

It’s the ‘buts’ that get in the way. But … it costs more money to buy healthy foods, especially organic. But … it takes more time to cook a healthy dinner instead of picking up quick, cheap, no-nutrient fast food. But … what it comes down to is that I’m mostly lazy. It’s easier to fall into the trap of following old habits and routines. It takes energy to break old habits. That makes putting healthy eating habits into practice difficult.

I want to live greener. I keep joking that I’m a closet environmentalist. I’m not really in the closet about it. I just don’t actively do as much as I’d like to. I compost. My coffee grounds, eggshells, vegetable peelings and newspapers enrich my small home garden instead of going to a landfill. I garden organically. I make my own fertilizer and don’t use pesticides. I try to remember my recycle bags. I usually remember them when I’m checking out with a cart full with people in line behind me. Then I remember that they’re in the car, tucked safely behind the seat. There’s a lot more I want to do, now, to just really do it instead of merely thinking about it.

I want to live a more authentic life. I want to be true to myself. I desire the courage to chase my dreams. I need to strengthen my ability to say ‘no.’ I wish to be more optimistic. I want to believe in myself more. But … yes, those dreaded ‘buts’ interfere in so many aspects of my life.

Research says that it takes 21, or 28, or 30, (depending on which research study you look at) for a new thought or routine to become a habit. I start out strong. Three days …. Five days …. Maybe even seven or ten days! I seem to drift back to my old behaviors and old thought patterns long before I reach the magic 21 (or 28, or 30) day point.

I don’t think I’m alone in my quest. Some people appear to achieve their goals without any effort or sweat. However, I think that the majority of us battle with at least a few of these dilemmas.

I’m going to fight these ‘buts. Here we go. One step at a time, and soon, some day I’ll be living a healthier, greener, more authentic life!

2 comments:

  1. I am on the same page with you here. The buts are just butting me out every time I think of actualizing my ideals. I know many good things BUT....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real life seems to intrude on all of us.
    But at least you are doing what you
    can.

    Man kind seems to pollute every thing
    he touches. At least some of can be
    different, if we will try.

    ReplyDelete